Thursday, July 19, 2007

Putting God First

Back in biblical times the family consisted of all the relatives. They were bound together as one unit. They cared what happened to each other. They were close to each other. They helped each other. Were there disagreements? Of course. But they worked through them. What happened to that unity? I haven't spoken to my sister (by her choice) in over 10 years. It breaks my heart every time I think about it. But there is nothing I can do about it. I have to wait for God to work on her heart and open it up to me again. The split between us came after I gave her a word the Lord gave me to tell her. As much as it grieves me to have the separation from her, the separation I would have from God had I not obeyed would be worse. I know God has a plan, and He will bring reconciliation when HE is ready.

So what does this have to do with putting God first? Well God has called us to put Him before everything and everyone in our lives. But what comes after? By His decree we are to put others in a certain order.

1 Cor 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

So what does it mean to us? Well first we should be seeking God first. Then our family should come next. First husband, then children, then extended family. Then and only then should we reach out to others. If we are not showing forth God to our family, immediate and extended, how can we show God to others? Has He called us to witness to others? Definitely. But don't you think when we stand before Him if we have pushed our family aside He won't hold us accountable? What does the world see when we have no time to minister to our own family and yet we try to tell them about God? Don't you think if they start reading the Word God has left us that they won't think we are hypocrites?

I pray He not find any of us to be hypocrites.

1 comment:

Mere said...

This is SO true!....and such an AWESOME post!! I pray this opens the hearts of all who read this! What a blessing you are! Hope you are enjoying your time with your family!

~Mere