Monday, January 17, 2011

Hagar

The post below this was done yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to type it in.
Here is todays:


Her name means fugitive or immigrant

You really can't do any kind of study on Sarah without studying Hagar.

Hagar was one of Sarah's handmaidens. She was an Egyptian and probably was given to them one of the times they lied about Sarah being Abraham's wife.

Even though she was a foreigner and a slave with no rights or choices as to becoming Abraham's wife, God cared for her and her son.

She despised Sarah after she conceived according to Gen 16:4. I am sure as her belly grew with the baby, she held it over Sarah's head that she could give Abraham a child when Sarah couldn't.

Sarah and Abraham both shared in being responsible for the mess that followed. Hagar had no choice. Except for her choice of how she treated Sarah after she got pregnant.

Hagar should have thought her actions out first. But then so should we.

In Gen 16 it tells how things got so bad for her, she fled.

In verse 7 it says the angel of the Lord found her. He told her to return to Sarah and submit to her. That God was looking after her. Hagar listened and obeyed. She was told to name her son Ishmael, which means God hears. Many years later she would be forced to leave. Again an angel came to her and saved her and her son. God saw, heard, and was faithful to her.

Obviously at the beginning Sarah trusted Hagar or she wouldn't have chosen her to have the baby. But pride changed Hagar. And I am sure Sarah, by this time was regretting taking things into her own hands.

Here are a few promises from God's word.

Ps 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace and sleep: for Thou Lord only makest me dwell in safety.

Ps 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for Thy word hath quickened me

Ps 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, Thou wilt revive me: Thou shalt stretch forth Thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and Thy right hand shall save me.

Because He is an all-knowing Father who hears the cries of His children, nothing that happens to us can ever escape His notice.

1 comment:

Mere said...

Hagar sounds like she had the Enemy talking to her. UGH! I love how this post reminds me that He sees and hears EVERYTHING and never forsakes. xoxo LOVE IT!

Love, Mere