Saturday, March 2, 2013

God is my refuge???

You bet He is !!  I woke
with a major sinus headache today so God's reminders in my devotions this morning were most welcome. I have a noisy day ahead of me and it will be alot more fun without the headache. I took my sinus medicine and hopefully it will work soon.

Ps 46:1-2 God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.

God is Immanuel - God with us - an ever present help in trouble. Today my trouble is sinus issues and a headache. But it doesn't matter what my trouble is really. He has promised to be there with me in all trouble. He has everything I need for whatever situation I find myself in at the moment. And yes sometimes I have to go through my troubles moment by moment. Don't you hate those kind? I do.

Do you sometimes imagine and dwell on what trouble might come to you? Draw your mind back to God and His promise. There is NOTHING we can do about the trouble ahead. We can't change what is coming most of the time. BUT ALL OF THE TIME, God has promised to be right there in the middle of it with us.

As we spend more time with God we will learn to trust Him more and will trust in Him being our refuge more.

Matthew 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing.

God gave me a vision many years ago when I was going through some really difficult things. He showed me a HUGE eagle in the sky. It opened up one of its wings and I was standing right there protected and safe. That is what God is saying He wants to do here. I remember the feeling I got when I had that vision. It was so clear and so encouraging. I knew then that no matter what happened, I was gonna be safe in the end. I just had to trust God and stay in the shadow of His wings. Sometimes I need a reminder of that.

Ps 91:4 He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge, His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler.

Ps 19:14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to Your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer.

If you trust in God you can take refuge in Him. Trusting though is more then words. It is mainly our will. As we go through our day (everyday) we face many things that can make us anxious, even some of our thoughts, the what ifs. The what ifs are probably the worst for me. It is easier for me to run to God for refuge when I have an actual in my face, have to be dealt with situation. Are you the same? The ones that i think about (where a situation COULD lead to) are harder cause I have no way of knowing if it will even happen.

We must stay alert or anxious feelings can slip into your day without us even noticing. You may wonder why you suddenly start to feel anxious. You may ignore (or try to) these feelings. (doesn't work, just giving you a heads up from someone who has been there/ done that , has the t-shirt. You may try to numb them with food, drink, television, shopping, gossip or anything else that will distract you. (Again doesn't work, ask me how I know). God says be alert so we can catch those thoughts before they grab hold and make us anxious.

We can chose to take refuge in God as soon as the first little thought or situation comes. Or we can try to deal with them on our own till we are overwhelmed and anxious. Which sounds better to you? God is always at the ready to be our refuge. But it requires us exerting our will by turning to Him for help.

1 Pet 5:8 Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Ps 57:1 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trust in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by.

Ps 34:8 O taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who trusts and takes refuge in Him.

I am seeking my refuge in Him today. What about YOU?


No comments: