Saturday, September 26, 2015

Teach your children, and Frog

Deut 6:1 Now this is the commandment, and these are the statutes and judgments which the Lord your God has commanded to teach you, that you may observe them in the land which you are crossing over to possess,
:2 that you may fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, you and your son and your grandson, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged.
:3 Therefore hear, O Israel, and be careful to observe it that it may be well with you, and that you may multiply greatly as the Lord God of your fathers has promised you – “a land flowing with milk and honey:
:4 “Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one!
:5 You shall love the Lord your God with all you heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
:6And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart.
:7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.
:8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.
:9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
My 2 year old grandson is learning the ABC’s in English, Spanish, Korean and sign language. He can recite quite a few on his own. He is also learning to count in those languages and can count to 15 in English on his own. He can count to various numbers in the others.
If he can learn those things at 2, doesn’t it show the importance of teaching children the right things early on?
Pr 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding:
FROG – Fully rely on God
To fully rely on God is a big thing to us as Christians. When we give our lives to Him, He is in control and we need to fully rely on Him.
Fully means to the greatest degree or extent; completely or entirely.
Rely means depend on with full trust or confidence.
I know I’m far from fully relying on God as I should, but as I started thinking about this I started reflecting about God and who He is. That alone makes me want to rely on Him more.
We need to get to know God better. There are several things about God that help us on our journey to rely on Him more.
1.       God’s strength
God’s strength is one of those things that we need the most and have to rely on the Lord for in our lives. Our own strength won’t get us very far, but His will.

Phil 4:13 I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me.

Eph 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.

Is 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; ‘For Yah, the Lord, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation;

Much is said about Samson’s strength, but he didn’t take those pillars down alone. He asked God to give him the strength to do it.

Judges 16:28 Then Samson called to the Lord, saying, “O Lord God, remember me, I pray! Strengthen me, I pray, just this once, O God, that I may with one blow take vengeance on the Philistines for my two eyes!
:29 And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars which supported the temple, and he braced himself against them, one of his right and the other on his left.
:30 Then Samson said, “Let me die with the Philistines!” And he pushed with all his might, and the temple fell on the lords and all the people who were in it. So the dead that he killed at his death were more than he had killed in his life.

David prayed for God’s strength also.

Ps 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Ps 138:3 In the day when I cried out, You answered me, and made me bold with strength in my soul.

Israel needed God’s strength.

Is 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

2.       God’s love.
It’s this love that brought us to Christ in the first place.

Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Jer 31:3 The Lord has appeared of old to me, saying, “Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you.

When we know someone loves us it helps us to trust them and rely on them.


3.       God’s Word
We never have to worry about God breaking His Word.

Ps 119:89 Forever, O Lord, Your Word is settled in heaven.


4.       God’s faithfulness
It’s easy to trust someone who is faithful.

Ps 119:90 You faithfulness endures to all generations; You established the earth, and it abides.

Knowing He’s always going to be faithful makes me want to trust Him more.

5.       God’s wisdom
God knows what He’s doing.

1 Tim 1:17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

Rom 11:33 Oh, the depths of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!


No comments: