Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pr 31:12

Pr 31:12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

Good means morally excellent; virtuous; righteous; of high quality, excellent; well-behaved; kind, friendly; agreeable; pleasant; honorable or worthy; genuine, honest, not counterfeit; reliable; dependable; responsible; beneficial; not spoiled or tainted; cheerful; optimistic; amiable.

Harm means physical injury or mental damage; hurt; moral injury; evil; wrong

Looking at verse 12, I see that my attitude toward my husband is as important as my actual deeds. Maybe more so. My actions are going to be a direct reflection of my attitude toward him. But in this verse it says all the days of my life. That is hard to do on days when I am upset with him. Even if I have a right (or think I do) to be upset with him, it still says I have to do him good. Well forgive me Lord cause in the last week, I haven't done that. I was upset with him about something and I didn't want to do him good. Now don't get me wrong I didn't do him evil (or at least I didn't mean to if I did) I just didn't want to do him good. When I am upset with him (and I know NONE of you are like this, just me), then I may do him harm with my words and actions either to him or to someone else about him. OUCH!

Look at the definitions above. The only way any of us can do only good to our husband all the days of our lives is through Christ Jesus and with His help. Obviously I failed in the last few days. I will have to ask the Lord's and hubby's forgiveness.

A man is really blessed if he can trust his wife to be honest, discreet, and dependable. Being the woman our husband can trust is one of the things God has called us to do. It is not always easy, especially when we are upset with him.

We must not only be honest with our husband and others but with ourselves also. That is sometimes the hardest.

In doing good to her husband, the Pr 31 woman is consistent. It says all the days of her life, not just the days she feels like he deserves it. (okay Lord you can stop stepping on my toes this morning, I get it). Her godliness toward him is consistent.

Eph 3:14-19 This is where our daily and lifelong faithfulness comes from. From Christ being in our hearts by faith. That we are strengthened with might by His Spirit, that we are rooted and grounded in love for God and others.

The Lord's faithfulness to us is daily and constant. Not depending (Thank GOD!!) on what we do or don't do or how we feel at the moment.

Jer 29:11 says the Lord has thoughts of peace and not evil toward us.

Doing good and not harm is the very definition of love and what God demonstrates to us.

Aren't you glad the Lord wants only good for us all the time even when we don't deserve it? I know I am.

No comments: