Tuesday, June 11, 2013

June 11, 2013

Ps 16:1 Preserve me, O God, for in You I put my trust.
:2 O my soul, you have said to the Lord," You are my Lord, my goodness is nothing apart from you."
:3 As for the saints who are on the earth, "They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight."
:4 Their sorrows shall be multiplied who hasten after another god; their drink offerings of blood I will not offer, nor take up their names on my lips.
:5 O Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You maintain my lot.
:6 The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; yes, I have a good inheritance.
:7 I will bless the Lord who has given me counsel; my heart also instructs me in the night seasons.
:8 I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.
:9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; my flesh also will rest in hope.
:10 For You will not leave my soul in Sheol, nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
:11 You will show me the path of life; in your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

David ran from Saul for 10 years. Many times he was almost caught and killed. Possibly it was during one of these times he wrote this psalm. There wasn't anything he could do but cry to God for help. That's what we need to do during hard situations.

David was so confident of the Lord's protection that even the grave would not rob him of life in God's presence.

Rom 12:12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

Pr 23:18 There is surely a future hope in you, and your hope will not be cut off.

Be joyful in hope. Sometimes circumstances of our life make it difficult to be joyful. When you are searching for joy the best place to look is in hope.

Jn 14:27 Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

The Lord's peace is such an all-encompassing gift that it is independent of circumstances. Though you lose everything else, if we gain His peace we are rich indeed. That should comfort us especially going through things we have no control over. Sometimes during those times we feel unable to receive that peace. Maybe we are clinging to other things - people, possessions, our reputation, or what we feel are our rights.

No comments: