Thursday, October 1, 2015

Attitude Checker and Teach Me

Col 4:2 Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving;
:3 meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the Word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains;
:4 that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.
:5 Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time.
:6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.
Wouldn’t it be awesome if we had an attitude checker for our words before we speak? Like a spell check in word processors.
Pr 21:11 When the scoffer is punished, the simple is made wise; but when the wise is instructed, he receives knowledge.
There are several verses in Psalms that speak of teaching.
Ps 25:4 Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths.
Ps 119:12 Blessed are You, O Lord! Teach me Your statutes.
Ps 143:10 Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; Your Spirit is good, lead me in the lad of uprightness.
There are others throughout scripture. They all require me to be willing to learn.
Some things that hinder us from being teachable:
1.       We think we know it all.
When we have this mindset nothing soaks in.
We can never know it all when it comes to Christ.

Rom 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

2.       We don’t listen closely.

Do you ever half listen? My husband sometimes says he heard but wasn’t listening.
When we do that we may miss out on some very important points that we need later.
As a Christian we need to listen closely to the Lord.

Jn 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

3.       We are too busy talking.
Sometimes we need to listen more and talk less.

Ps 141:3 Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips.


No comments: