Look over Luke 10:38-42
1. In the passage at hand two sisters desire to please Jesus. Why is Mary praised?
Because she chose to sit and listen to what Jesus had to say before doing anything else. This is strictly my opinion but I believe she discerned how short a time she would have to learn from Him.
2. Why is Martha rebuked? I think (again my opinion) that it was her attitude He was rebuking. She received Him into her home and felt responsible for the preparations for Him and whoever was with Him. But she didn't have a good attitude about working while everyone else, including Mary, were listening to Him. She should have listened and then done the preparations.
3. How might Martha have been different if she had taken the time to listen to Jesus before she served?
Well her attitude would have definitely been different.
4. What charge did Martha make against Jesus in verse 40?
That He didn't care
5. Have you ever felt this way under the pressures of daily work? explain.
yes unfortunately i have. I think all of us can relate to how Martha felt.
6. What charge did Martha make against Mary in verse 40?
Pretty much that Mary was lazy and selfish.
7. Discuss how our self-love leads us into bad attitudes toward others.
We think due to our self-love that others should want to help us, do for us, etc. When they don't, if we aren't careful, we can fall into a bad attitude toward them. The door can be opened to resentment, anger, bitterness.
8. What does verse 40 teach about the prayers of one whose perspective is faulty?
That our prayers will be self centered.
9. Define cumbered.
over occupied with cares, burdens, distracted, to weigh down.
10. Are you ever in this condition? why?
yes and it is always when I am trying to do something without the Lord's help or that is not in His will for me at the time.
11. How can you serve more like Mary?
I can pray and seek the Lord and His help before serving.
12. How does Jesus describe true servitude in Mark 10:42-45?
That true servitude means you serve with everything you have. Jesus laid down His life for us as an act of servitude.
13. Relate this description to the passages in Titus and Proverbs 31 from earlier lessons.
We must joyfully serve others after seeking the Lord's will.
14. Can you think of a situation in your life where effective service came after spiritual worship?
yes, many times and many situations.