Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Is sin sin?

I read something this morning that got me thinking. It is about the sin of homosexuality. But in the same chapter it talks about a woman being raped and cut into pieces.

Sometimes we focus on one thing and forget or pass over quickly the other. I agree homosexuality is rampant, but so is lying, fornication, adultery and murder. And here I guess is my real point in all of this. God sees sin as sin. All of sin is an abomination to God. He doesn't look at one sin as any worse or better then another. But sometimes we as christians like to think that the "little" sins we struggle with are not as bad as the sin of murder or homosexuality. When in reality, those "little" sins, if not repented and brought under the blood of Jesus, will keep us out of the presence of God just as much as the person who is quilty of unrepented homosexuality or murder.

The chapter I am speaking of is Judges 19. It says that the man gave her to be abused and killed. I personally think that God did not look favorably on the men who gave the girl to be abused either. It says she was his concubine. In another verse it says his father-in-law who was her father. That tells me that she was his wife. God has called our husbands both today and back then to protect us. How did this man protect his wife? I am not saying he should have gone out to the men instead, don't get me wrong. But might there have been a different way? That all of them could have been safe? Hadn't God worked mighty miracles of salvation in the past? What about Lot? God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because of the same type of sin. Did these men and women even pray? It doesn't say that, and maybe they did. But it does say what these men decided to do. To save themselves at the cost of the wife and it says that the other man offered his daughter. I just can't imagine my husband offering me or one of our daughters like that. They would have had to kill him first. So while this chapter is about homosexuality, it is about alot more sin then just that. And yes they could have had alot more things happen if they hadn't given over the girl, but maybe, just maybe God would have intervened and the story would have ended differently. In the end, her husband cut her body up and sent it to the 12 coasts. I can't imagine God was happy about that either. Just my ramblings this morning on a chapter that is difficult to read.

No comments: