Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ps 61

Ps 61:1 Hear my cry, God; attend to my prayer.
:2 From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
:3 For You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy,
:4 I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah
:5 For You, O God, have heard my vows; You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name.
:6 You prolong the king's life, his years as many generations.
:7 He shall abide before God forever. Oh, prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him!
:8 So I will sing praise to Your name forever, That I may daily perform my vows.

This is headed as Assurance of God's Eternal Protection.
David felt far from God when he wrote this. But he knew he could still cry to God and He would hear. God hears us also, no matter how far from Him we feel.

Every image of God was a picture of protection and strength.

  1. God is a rock – a secure, high place, safe from attack.
  2. God provides a tabernacle – a sanctuary, the safety of home.
  3. God covers us in the shelter of His wings – He guards His own while they rest.

In verse 2 David confesses his heart is overwhelmed. He was saying he was drowning in his circumstances. He couldn't cope. Ever feel like you are on the edge of blowout or burnout? That is how David felt. What do we do in that situation? We turn to God and ask Him to be our refuge and sanctuary. We use wisdom in how to live.

Once many years ago I was at the breaking point and cried out to God to just take me. I couldn't go on anymore. I actually had the devil whispering in my ear to jump out of the back of the truck I was riding in and it would be better and I would be with God. I looked up and saw a vision. It was God and He opened up His arms as though they were wings and I saw myself hidden right there beneath His wing next to His heart. I knew then that no matter how bad things looked right then, that God was my refuge and strength and He would take care of me no matter what. I am so thankful for that vision. God knew what I needed at that moment and made sure to meet me there. He will meet you also.


No comments: