Monday, November 18, 2013

The Subject of Faith # 8


Heb 11:32 And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barkak and Samson and Jephthah, also of David and Samuel and the prophets,
:33 who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
:34 quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to flight the armies of the aliens,
:35 Women received their dead raised to life again. Others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.
:36 Still others had trial of mockings and scourgings, yes, and of chains and imprisonment.
:37 They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented -
:38 of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and mountains, in dens and caves of the earth,
:39 And all these, having obtained a good testimony through faith, did not receive the promise,
:40 God having provided something better for us, that they should not be made perfect apart from us.

You must mix faith with the word or it is dead. You must USE (apply) the word you hear. You must use faith to use the word.

Bereans searched the scriptures daily. We must do the same to work righteousness as it says in verse 33.

1 Sam 12:1Now Samuel said to all Israel: “Indeed I have heeded your voice in all that you said to me, and have made a king over you.
:2 And now here is the king, walking before you; and I am old and grayheaded, and look, my sons are with you. I have walked before you from my childhood to this day.
:3 Here I am. Witness against me before the Lord and before His anointed: Whose ox have I taken or whose donkey have I taken, or whom have I cheated? Whom have I oppressed, or from whose hand have I received any bribe with which to blind my eyes? I will restore it to you.”
:4 And they said, “You have not cheated us or oppressed us, nor have you taken anything from any man's hand.”
:5 Then he said to them, “The Lord is witness against you, and His anointed is witness this day, that you have not found anything in my hand,” And they answered, “He is witness.”

2 Sam 22:20 He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He is delighted in me.
:21 “The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands He recompensed me.
:22 For I have kept the ways of the Lord, and have not wickedly departed from my God.
:23 For all His judgments were before me; and as for His statutes, I did not depart from them.
:24 I was also blameless before Him, and I kept myself from my iniquity.
:25 Therefore the Lord has recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to my cleanness in His eyes.

Samuel did right in God's eyes. David repented quickly, as soon as he sinned.

David chose God's chastisement over man and nature's. He knew God's mercy.

Dan 6:22 My God sent His angel and shut the lion's mouths, so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent before Him; and also, O King, I have done no wrong before you.”

Verse 33 says obtained promises. Daniel believed God that the lions wouldn't hurt him and God stopped the mouths of lions.

1 Sam 17:37 Moreover David said, “The Lord, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” And Saul said to David, “Go, and the Lord be with you!”

By faith David slew the bear, lion, and Goliath.

Verse 34 says quenched the violence of fire.

The 3 Hebrew children said “Our God will deliver us, and God did.

If you play with fire you will be burned.

Verse 34 says escaped the edge of the sword. Saul tried to kill David. Ahab had Josiaphat wear his armor to let him be killed instead.

Verse 34 also says out of weakness were made strong. All of us were made strong in Christ.

Joel says when weak made strong.

Joshua 1 says be strong and of good courage.

Verse 34 says waxed valiant in fight. 2 Sam 23:18-22 and verse 15 talk about that.

The three who went to bring water were the most valiant.

1 Sam 22:1-2 Without the others he had no one to be over.

1 Kings 17:17-24 widow received her son again

2 Kings 4:24-37 Elisha – the woman kept saying It is well – she wouldn't accept death for her son.

She kept confession in line with what she was believing God for.

Verse 35 says others were tortured.

Jer 20:1-2

Verse 35 also says not accepting deliverance.

Some of the ones being tortured could have chosen to reject Christ.

Verse 36 says some were mocked and imprisoned.

They endured by faith until the end.

Verse 37 says there were stoned. Stephen was stoned for his faith but never rejected Christ.

2 Chron 24:20-21 Zechariah was stoned.

Verse 37 also says sawn in half. Schlors say Isaiah was, but it doesn't say who were.

Also verse 37 says were tempted. All were tempted.

Lk 10:10-15 they heard and didn't believe.




No comments: