Sunday, June 10, 2007

Longsuffering

This word for longsuffering is used only 14 times. It is translated longsuffering 12 times and patience twice. There are other words translated patience.

Here is the definition of longsuffering: patience, endurance, constancy, steadfastness, perseverance, forbearance, slowness in avenging wrongs.

The NIV says slow to anger in its place sometimes.

Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of His goodness and forbearance and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Rom 9:22 What if God, willing to shew His wrath, and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction.

If God gave each of us what we deserved, He would destroy us.

Eph 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith you are called,
:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

We are called to be longsuffering with one another. This is what I am struggling with today. UGH

It always amazes me, though it shouldn't, that God always allows situations in my life that go along with whatever He has me studying. Yesterday I studied peace, and was seeking it most of the day. Today has me dealing with longsuffering with someone.

Col 1:11 Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

Well let me just tell you that I need prayer to be joyful in my longsuffering today. It is not coming easily, but it should.

Col 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering
:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any; even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

Verse 12 starts with put on. That means it is my choice.

1 Tim 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on Him to life everlasting.

Jesus uses the longsuffering He shows me as an example to those who will follow Him. I should always be careful in all things in my life and remember that others may be watching that He is drawing to Him. I must walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

Heb 6:12 That ye may be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Here it is translated patience.

Lord, help me to be patient and endure.

1 comment:

Happywife84 said...

I just love your Bible studies!