Friday, August 2, 2013

August 2, 2013

Ps 25:1 To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
:2 O my God, I trust in You; let me not be ashamed; let not my enemies triumph over me.
:3 Indeed, let no one who waits on You be ashamed; let those be ashamed who deal treacherously without a cause.
:4 Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths.
:5 Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day.
:6 Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindness, for they are from of old.
:7 Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; according to Your mercy remember me, for Your goodness sake, O Lord.
:8 Good and upright is the Lord; therefore He teaches sinners in the way.
:9 The humble He guides in justice, and the humble He teaches His way.
:10 All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth, to such as keep His covenant and His testimonies.
:11 For Your name's sake, O Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great.
:12 Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way He chooses.
:13 He himself shall dwell in prosperity, and his descendants shall inherit the earth.
:14 The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, and He will show them His covenant.
:15 My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for He shall pluck my feet out of the net.
:16 Turn Yourself to me, and have mercy on me, for I am desolate and afflicted.
:17 The troubles of my heart have enlarged; bring me out of my distresses!
:18 Look on my affliction and my pain, and forgive all my sins.
:19 Consider my enemies, for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
:20 Keep my soul, and deliver me; let me not be ashamed, for I put my trust in You.
:21 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for You.
:22 Redeem Israel, O God, out of all their troubles!

My bible heads this as a plea for deliverance and forgiveness. How appropriate.

Do you ever get distracted while praying? David did and it is recorded for us to read here as a reminder we are human.

He starts to pray for protection in verse 2, guidance in verse 4. Then other thoughts come to mind. He remembers his past sins in verse seven. Then by verse 9 he is praying for guidance again. Verse 11 he is back to his past. Verses 12-15 back to guidance and instruction. Verses 16-20 more of his struggles. The last 2 verses find him shouting affirmation and trust in God, not only for himself but also for the nation.

This is a very private prayer that was just between David and God. Not every prayer is one that should be shared with others. It goes back and forth, focusing on main themes, but also addressing issues that come to mind. Don't ignore those distractions during prayer. Sometimes it is satan trying to distract us, but sometimes it is God pointing out issues He wants addressed. Prayer isn't (or shouldn't ) be just our talking to God. It is a conversation between God and us. Be sure to listen and not just talk. If we have truly repented and asked forgiveness it is the devil but if those issues come up we need to search our heart to see if we have truly repented.

Jn 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.


Some think the Christian life means deliverance from trouble. It means deliverance in trouble and that is very different. God doesn't give strength for tomorrow, or even the next hour, but for the next moment. It is a moment by moment deliverance.

No comments: