Thursday, August 15, 2013

Ps 32

Ps 32:1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
:2 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
:3 When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all the day long.
:4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was turned into the drought of summer. Selah
:5 I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, “ I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and You forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah
:6 For this cause everyone who is godly shall pray to You in a time when You may be found; surely in a flood of great waters they shall not come near him.
:7 You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah
:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.
:9 Do not be like the horse or like the mule, which have no understanding, which it must be harnessed with bit and bridle, else they will not come near you.
:10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; but he who trusts in the Lord, mercy shall surround him.
:11 Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous; and shout for joy, all you upright in heart!

This is listed as the joy of forgiveness. Information says he wrote it after the prophet Nathan exposed his sin with Bathsheba. '

David had it all. Wealth, power, influence, success. David didn't fall into sin with her, he walked right in, eyes wide open. He thought with killing her husband and marrying her everything was ok now.

He thought he hid it well. He looked like a hero marrying the widow. But even though it was well hidden and no one knew, God knew. For about a year everything was kept silent by David and by God. God was waiting on David to admit what he had done. David was hoping God would forget. There are no recorded psalms written during that year. David was dying inside because of the unrepented sin.

David used 4 different words to describe his sin.

  1. 32:1 transgression – means to rebel; it is a deliberate act of disobedience; a willful choice.
  2. 32:1 sin – comes from a Hebrew word that means to miss the mark, to go in the wrong way. God sets the standard for our behavior and we fall short of what He requires.
  3. 32:5 Iniquity – means to twist or pervert; we take God's good gifts and we twist them into actions or attitudes that dishonor Him.
  4. 32:2 Deceit – is the process of deception we use to convince ourselves and others that we are living honestly before God when, in fact, we are not.

Before you get to burdened by your own failures before God, remember that this psalm is about forgiveness. Each of our failures is dealt with freely and fully by God's grace. If we let Him. When we experience God's grace and cleasning, we are blessed – means happy, complete, healed, made whole. Sin will discourage us; trying to hide our sin will destroy us.

Some people thing God forgets sin when the reality is that God forgives sin. There is a difference. Forgiving someone means that we take the cost of and pain of someone else's wrong on ourselves. When Jesus died on the cross, He was enduring what my sin and your sin required. God in Christ was paying our debt and absorbing the price of sin Himself. The full impact of God's forgiveness hits us when we read the new testament commands to forgive each other just as God has forgiven us. When we forgive the person who has wounded us or betrayed us, we absorb the pain, Vengeance wants the other person to pay; forgiveness means we pay the price ourselves.



No comments: