Thursday, March 19, 2009

Study of Holy Women

Today I am looking at a study on holy women. Will see where this leads over the next few days.

Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine.

Let's start right here. I only want sound doctrine straight from the word of God. I like that about this guide I am looking at cause it has you read a section of scripture, (today is Titus 2:1-5) and then asks questions. You decide on the answers based on God's word. This was a free study that I printed off a long time ago. Sorry there isn't a link anywhere on the papers that I can find. It does state there is no copyright so I will post the questions and maybe, some or all of my answers. I will decide as I go.

Titus 2:2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

Since verse 2 deals with men, let's move on to verse 3.

Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
:4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
:5 to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, taht the word of God be not blasphemed.

Here are the questions and some of my answers. I did answer all of them in my journal but will share just a couple or so of my answers so this doesn't get to long.

1. After thought and reflection evaluate your concept of womanhood.

2. How have your ideas about womanhood changed since you became a christian? If you have been a christian since you were young, how has your concept changed over the years?

Wow, I could write a book to answer this one. I was saved at age 13, but honestly didn't know what that really truly meant for many years. Over the years, God has dealt with me on many issues. As He has dealt with me on issues concerning me as a woman, it has definitely changed my ideas.

3. Think of a woman you admire as an outstanding christian. Why do you esteem her?

A woman came immediately to mind. She has always been a great example to me of what a christian woman should be like. Do I have her on a pedestal? No, cause she is quick to tell you if you see any good in her, it is cause of Jesus. She taught me alot about submitting to my husband, without being a doormat, how to love my husband and respect him and to teach my children to do the same, even though she never had children.

4. Think of a powerful woman in the secular world. Name the negative results of her influence on women.

5. Who is your favorite female character in the bible? What characteristics does she have that makes her so admired?

Even though she isn't really named, we know her as the PR 31 woman. Her characteristics are all laid out for you to read there.

6. From Titus 2:1-5 list the qualities God admires. Next to them write the opposite of these qualities.

7.How do the qualities you esteem compare or conflict with the list above?

8. All women are not ready to teach younger women, or be a proper example, to others. What are teh prerequisities according to our passage?

9. How can a woman manifest behavior as becometh holiness to God? Why do you think this quality is named first?

10. Why is control of the tongue (not false accusers) so important? Can you think of an example when God's name has bee dishonored or His work hindered by a slandering woman?

11. Define temperance. Why is it important for a godly woman to be free from addiction to wine, or any excess?

I posted a few of my answers but it would have made this even longer had I posted all of them. I would love to know if anyone out there does this too. Leave me a link to your blog if you do it there, or email me. I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Yvette Burleigh said...

Wow! Now anybody that knows me knows I am all about Bible study! LOL! When I get some spare time I will attempt to answer the questions from your study. Gonna have to wait until I get quiet time though. Thanks for sharing yoru study and hope to see more! Oh... and I am deeply touched and blessed by all of your lovely comments on my blog. Thank you with all of my heart.

Love,
Yvette

Happywife84 said...

Thank you so much for this study. It's exactly what I need. It's a reminder to me to keep on being focused. Hope to share more later.